- This vintage wartime ad from Sunshine Books features a WAC and a WAVE. Less well remembered than their army and navy counterparts, there were also WASPS who flew every type of aircraft in the Air Force as they ferried planes across the country.
- This patriotic rhinestone V for Victory pin is available from Small Town Vintage Shop.
- This sweet celluloid pin back V-J Day button is available from Brooklyn Antiques.
- This fun cute little army jeep and driver brooch is available in our own shop.
- Finally, this iconic The Kiss print, which captured the effervescent relief of the end of the war, is available from Falstaff Trading.
Wednesday, September 2, 2015
70th Anniversary of VJ Day and the End of WWII
Today marks the 70th anniversary VJ Day, the day the treaty with Japan was signed marking an end to World War II. I am proud to say the my dad's father, Frank, served in the army at the tail end of the war and the transition to peacetime (he was too young to serve before) and my mom had two aunts who served in the WACS. Norine served during the war and was stationed in the Philippines and Claire Estelle served during peacetime.