Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Birthday Parties

Today is my birthday. I spent it simply because we are leaving on vacation on Thursday. We will spend about ten days at my in-laws condo in Ormand Beach FL, and then on August 11th we will go to Orlando to pick up my youngest son who has been studying in Europe this summer. Having him back will be the best gift of all. However, even though I didn't have a birthday with all the bells and whistles, I had a blissful birthday. I took our oldest dog out to stay with my parents while we are gone so that the other dogs will not be able to bother her. While I was there, Kerry who came with me, and I visited with my parents and they took us out to lunch in a local place where I had never eaten. It was so great to spend the time with my parents. I am an only child and most of my birthdays have been spend when we are on vacation and so my parents don't get my company. Last year, when I hit the big 50 my mother specifically asked that I, my husband, and the kids spend it with them and my mother outdid herself with dinner and a rainbow cake (my absolutely favorite cake. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the cake, it consists of about three tiers of around white cake (homemade of course), the tiers are then split horizonally, and different types of filling are used for the different layers, such as pineapple, pastasio, strawberry,lemon, etc. Then the whole cake is frosted with a frothy butter cream icing. It makes a very elegant and delicious cake. But I did not have it this year, there wasn't enough time. I had a delightful afternoon and lunch with Kerry and my parents and then I went home and ate pizza and rewatched one of our funny movies with my husband, my eldest son and Kerry. Birthdays do not always have to be about parties and cakes and presents. Sometime the best birthdays are spend quietly with the ones you love. I have always enjoyed the birthdays I spend on vacation, but it has been very sweet and blissful to spend the last two with my beloved parents without whom, I would not have any birthdays to celebrate.
May your birthdays be blissful.
Stephanie

No comments: