Saturday, February 21, 2009

Spring is Coming

These last few days of February are sometimes hard to get through because we look so forward to Spring. But now is the time to think about the garden that you are going to plant, maybe get the seeds and actually start the plants. Kerry is looking forward to doing just that and we will be starting the seedlings this next week. She likes to use cardboard eggcartons because they are frugal, biodegradable and the perfect size. She (and my mother) have been hoarding them back so she'll have an ample supply. This year she is looking forward to finding some heirloom vegetable seeds appropriate to southwestern Ohio, especially for hardy, forgiving varieties. Starting the seeds early indoors, helps to bring a little Spring into our lives a little sooner than waiting for Mother Nature. Sowing the seeds of bliss, you might say which we will enjoy throughout the rest of the spring and summer.

Soon there will be bouquets and planters full of early blooms from nursery bulbs. If you can afford it, buy one to cheer yourself up during these last dreary days of winter. I like to buy a small planter and then I plant the bulbs myself. I always go outside at this time of year to see if my bulbs have started peeking out of the ground. I get so excited when I see their little green shoots. I know that Spring is just around the corner. I expect to start seeing them anytime now. It is time to check out gardening books out of the library. Even if you don't garden, they are so lovely to look at and dream over. Reading them, or in my case, just looking at the pictures and reading the captions under them, is like a mini vacation in the winter. Another little bit of bliss.

No comments: